Thursday, May 07, 2015

 

Happy birthday to Granny

Granny, that's Marsha's Mom Jean Herttenberger, turned 87 this week.  She celebrated in the hospital where she is recovering from some surgery.  I love Granny, so here is why I love her and am proud of her.

She stays amazingly cheerful and upbeat in spite of living with increasing pain.  She has survived cancer, a broken hip, and a degenerating spine.  But I love her smile.

She is tough.  Most people would quit trying if they had as many setbacks as she has.  But she never gives up.  She works at her Rehab.  She doesn't complain.

She sets the bar high for the women in our family.  She is a great role model.  I call her #1 and Marsha #2.  I see so much in Marsha that she has learned from Granny.  And my daughter Julie is #3.  I can see her Granny and Mimi in her.  And now her daughter Avery is #4.  Tough, faithful, loving, serving, working women.  It is a legacy.

Granny is ready to die.  Has been for a long time.  I think that is a great way to live.

She loves God and her church friends.  She adores her family -- kids and in-laws, grands, great-grands, and all the extended family.

She treats me like a son and not a son-in-law.  Everyone says that is what they do.  She is one of the few people that doesn't say it.  She just does it.

And on top of everything else, she has been married to Grandpa for 70 years.  Love that.

And of course, I love her for raising Marsha.

So thanks God for Granny.  She has blessed us all in more ways than we could ever realize.  But you know.  So thanks.

Happy birthday Granny.  I'll be by for more cake later.  And don't worry... I won't tell the other kids that I'm your favorite.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?