Tuesday, May 05, 2015

 

What is going on with that church in Abilene?

Since I travel to churches all over the United States, and when people find out I live in Abilene, I often get questions about specific churches of Christ there.  Is it true?  What is going on?  What do you think?  I have heard it asked about University, Highland, Oldham, Hillcrest, Baker Heights,
Southern Hills, etc, etc.  It has been asked out of curiosity.  Sometimes it has been asked with what sure seemed to be a mean, judgmental spirit.  And sometimes in a condescending, judgmental spirit.  It is usually a question about worship styles, organization, or personnel.

So here is how I answer that question about what is going on with that church in Abilene.

Almost every time I tell them I do not know since I am not a member there.  And almost every time, they will follow it with this question:  but what do you think about...?

So I have to tell them that I don't have time or energy to worry about what other congregations are doing.  I am an elder at Southern Hills, and I can barely keep up with what we are doing. I am way too busy reaching people and living life with my Southern Hills family to worry about what anyone else is doing.  If they still persist, here are things I go on to tell them.  And to tell you.

I doubt I agree with everything they are doing.  I don't even agree with everything Southern Hills is doing.  I doubt I agree with everything your church is doing.  But I am not responsible for those other congregations.

I know elders and staff at every church of Christ in Abilene.  I have preached at almost every one.  And I can say without reservation that the leadership of every one of them is doing the best they can to be faithful to Jesus.  They all value Scripture and they want their people to love Jesus more and more.  Every one of them wants to be influential in leading people in Abilene to Jesus.

I know they are all baptizing people from our community who have learned about Jesus from them.  I know they are trying to live as a community of Jesus followers.  And I know every Sunday when I am sharing the death of Jesus in Communion, so are they.

I pray for every one of those churches to be blessed in their efforts to share Jesus.

So I am probably the wrong person to ask what is going on in with so and so church in Abilene.

I love them all.

  

Comments:
B R A V O !
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?