Tuesday, June 16, 2015

 

How I know the church is not dying...instead I think it may be thriving

These were random conversations and events over the past couple of weeks that make me optimistic about the future of the church.

I was at a restaurant and ran into Brent Isbell, preacher at University church of Christ in Abilene.  He told me they had just baptized a young married couple.  I go to a different congregation in Abilene but I was excited that somebody was sharing their faith at University.

And I am still excited about what God is doing on Long Island.  Lots of commitments to talk about Jesus and to share their faith.  Lots of studies happening from the Hope for Life campaign last week.

I saw pictures from Live Beyond in Haiti.  They were of people being baptized.  I love Live Beyond because they are healing the sick and proclaiming the good news.  Southern Hills has a number of our people involved and my daughter-in-law, Jamie, has been there with the Hills church of Christ.  Lives are being saved.  Literally forever.

I just scheduled another Can I Tell You a Story seminar.  That makes four for this fall.  These are churches that want to be motivated and equipped to share their faith.  Churches in Chicago, Tulsa, Minneapolis, and Manhattan, KS.

And then my son-in-law Bobby visited with me about one of his baseball boys.  The young man is thinking about giving his life to Jesus and wants Coach Bobby to baptize him.  Love it when your family discussions are about helping people decide to follow Jesus.

All over the world there are people giving of their time, energy, money, talent -- giving themselves -- to share the good news of Jesus.

Churches that "get it."  People that care.  Making a difference now and forever.

What about the church and the future?

Looks good to me.

So thanks God for letting me get a glimpse of so many of your people making a difference in your world.  Help us see opportunities to share your son's story, give us the right words to use and the courage to speak them.   

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?