Tuesday, July 14, 2015

 

Mel Nelson, Jerry Mullins, David Lewis, Jesus, and Dying

One of them was pretty well known in Church of Christ circles, one was fairly prominent in Abilene Christian University athletics, and one was well known at Southern Hills church of Christ.

All three died in past couple of weeks.  All three of them are in heaven.

I don't really know if they all knew each other.  Probably not.

I knew them.  Mel and his wife Betty were good friends with my in-laws.  Even up in hospice, I'd go see Mel and he would ask about Don and Jean.

Jerry Mullins was an elder at University when I was doing campus ministry.  I will always remember what he told me during one of the darkest times in my life.  Standing in his front yard, he told me it would be OK and that we would get through it. Now that I am an elder, I have repeated that phrase to a lot of people.  I was honored to do his funeral.

David Lewis was especially significant to my daughter Julie, and to us.  He helped her know how to hang on to Jesus when Satan had really attacked her.  She ended up working for him through much of college.

So, other than knowing me and dying within a couple of weeks of each other, what connects Mel, Jerry, and David?

Jesus.

The world would say they were nothing alike.  I saw three brothers who were very much alike.

They all passionately loved Jesus.

They all loved their family and raised faithful kids who are now raising their own kids to be believers.

They loved their local communities of faith.  They were all involved in doing life together with their brothers and sisters.

They shared their faith.  Givers, elders, counselors, encouragers, carers.

They loved their God and they loved his people.

I am not much like any of them on the surface, but I have been helped on my faith journey by each of them at different times in my life.

And I want to be more like Jesus because of them.  Not just like them, but like Jesus.

And that is exactly what Mel, Jerry, and David would want for each of us.  To be like Jesus.

So thanks God for these men who served you, loved you, and loved us.  I am glad they get to know each other now.  And I look forward to hanging out with them -- and you -- forever.

 


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?