Thursday, August 20, 2015

 

Jack, Bill, and Me: An elder legacy


Jack Qualls, Bill Merkel, and me.

This picture was taken on the Sunday we kicked off our 50 year anniversary celebration at Southern Hills.  I love these two men.  Jack was an elder at Southern Hills when I first came there, when Marsha and I got married, and when I was the Youth Minister/Song leader.  Bill was the Deacon over the Youth Group.  We ate a lot of meals with these two families.  We looked up to them.  We wanted to be like them.

But here is the most special thing about this picture.

Jack and Jenny Qualls not only were a great elder couple, but they mentored and influenced Bill and Hymonda Merkel.  Jack encouraged Bill to be an elder.  Jenny told Hymonda what an outstanding elder's wife she would be.

It was because of their example that the Merkels were such a great elder couple for so long.

And it was Bill who encouraged me to be an elder.  Hymonda told Marsha what a great elder wife she would be.

It was because of their example that Marsha and I have been serving Southern Hills as and elder couple for so long now.

Jack to Bill to me.

I learned so much about how to shepherd from these men.  It is a legacy of shepherding that has made an incredible impact on Southern Hills for 50 years.

Jack and Bill are two of my spiritual heroes.  I cannot imagine where I would be without their love, encouragement, and discipline in my life.

Sometimes you just need to take a moment and say thanks.

So thanks God for men like these who went before me.  Thanks for their example and encouragement.  Thanks for their lives.  

And yes, I realize we should have gotten a picture of Marsha, Hymonda, and Jenny.  Prettier and more spiritual too.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?