Tuesday, September 08, 2015

 

My church is selecting elders again, so...

Southern Hills is in starting another Elder selection process, so I have been thinking again about the kind of man who should serve as an elder.  I have served now at Southern Hills for ten years but I have to think about it again.

Part of that thinking is because all of our current elders go through the selection process .  So I have to decide if I want to lead as an elder.  I believe it is a healthy thing to have to think through being an elder.  It gives Marsha and I a chance to recommit or to step away.  It lets the congregation speak to my leadership.

And part of my thinking about elders at Southern Hills is because these are the men who are going to be leading me and my family to heaven.  These are men who will influence my grandkids.  These are men who will set the tone and direction for my church family.  This is a big deal.

I have been reading Titus 1 and I Timothy 3 frequently.  These passages talk about the kind of man God seeks to lead his people.  While I do not think these two passages form some kind of super checklist, I do think there is clear truth there about what kind of man an elder should be.

I have also been reading I Peter 5.  It is written from an elder to elders.  In some ways, I think it is the most pointed message about who elders are.

So I am praying and reading and talking to people.

I am looking at what God asks of his elders.  I am looking in the mirror.  And, at least for me, I am looking at ten years worth of eldering evidence.

So over the next few weeks and months, I may write some about what I am thinking about being one of God's elders.  But for today, here are a few thoughts I have.

Maybe others are having these same thoughts.  Or maybe it is just me.

So...

I have to decide if being an elder is good for my spiritual life or not.  Speaking truth as a spiritual leader does not always make you well-liked.  I mean-- they crucified Jesus, so... what price am I really willing to pay?

Do I really make a difference for the people who are in danger of not making it home?

Can I put with the politics?  More important, can I resist the temptation to play church politics myself?

And if I am willing to serve, isn't it really more a decision for my flock than for me?  After all, if no one is going to follow me, am I really a leader?

So feel free to pray for me.  And for Marsha.  And for Southern Hills.

And feel free to pray for the men God is calling to shepherd his people.

So God, I ask you to let me know.  Make it clear like you always have.  I promise I will try hard to listen to You and to your people.



Comments:
After the past week of news about Kim Davis and her belief system being tested, I think your question is thoughtful in regards to what are you willing to sacrifice for your belief system. Is that type of sacrifice necessary and does it promote others to follow your thinking, or does it have the opposite effect?

Individual thoughts,and works of a man determine the path he decides to follow daily in life. Can you as an individual leader change that process of free will that man has into your teachings, and beliefs, and is that what God would want of each person?

I understand very clearly the passage feed my sheep, what I do not understand is sheep do not have the ability to reason and make choices based on thought, man does.

I thought the purpose was to choose a God centered lifestyle ourselves, not let someone else make that choice for us. I guess the question is how much more are you responsible for as a church leader than the basic needs of "sheep"?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?