Tuesday, September 29, 2015

 

Why Would Anyone Want to Be an Elder anyway...

Southern Hills is in the midst of our elder selection.  Since all current elders go thru the process each time, I am once again thinking about what it means for Marsha and me.

So I have been thinking about motivation.  Why would anyone want to be an elder anyway?

I am going to start with the wrong motivation to be an elder.  So I try to spend some time in self-examination -- something I admittedly am not good at -- to be sure these things are not driving me.

Do not be an elder for the ego.  Lots of men are conditioned to climb the ladder at work, so they translate that to church and climb the ladder all the way to elder.

Do not do it for the power.  There are elders who "lord it over the flock".  Peter warned you about that .  Don't.

Don't do it because you need it.  It is not about you.  It is not a substitute for career failure, or being emasculated at home, or validation about your popularity.

Don't do it so people will follow you.  If they are not following you already, that will not change just because you become an elder.

Do not be an elder to further an agenda.  Shepherding is not about keeping things the same or making sure they change.  People first.  Not agendas.

So why should a man want to serve as an elder.

Because he really, really loves his flock.  If you do not love people, you will not make it as an elder.

Serve because you are invested in getting everyone safely home to God.

Do it because your life in Christ has shaped you into someone uniquely qualified to help others.  Your faith battles, raising faithful children, seeing the evil in this world and learning how to rise above it.  These things make you a shepherd.

Because you love God and are asking him what to do.  I pray for wisdom.  I ask for signs (are people seeking me out for guidance, am I making a difference, are people thanking me because I made a differnce in them and in their family).

Serve because your flock asks you.  I listen carefully to how they ask.  Are they seeking a shepherd or an advocate for certain programs?

Serve because you already are a shepherd.  Do people follow you now?  Do people seek your spiritual advice?

Do it because you know your people.  Because you were there at the birth of their kids, you were there in the hospital room with them or their loved ones, they have cried on your couch,  you helped them come to Jesus, you waded into the gutter and helped them climb out through the blood and mess of a broken life.   Because you were there when loved ones went home to Jesus. Because you have prayed with them and for them.  Cried with them and for them.  Rejoiced with them.  Because they are yours.

Serve if you would be who you are whether you have a title or not.

Just things I am thinking about as we go through the process.

 So thanks God for the years I have led your people.  Help your church to know if I should keep leading them.  Help me to know if I am one of their shepherds.  Let me have a heart focused on you first, your people second, and on all those who do not yet know you.  

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?