Tuesday, October 27, 2015

 

The hardest responsibility an elder has...

There is an amazing passage in Hebrews about obeying and submitting to your spiritual leaders.  We are urged to do this because the leaders are watching over us as men who must give an accounting.

I believe this passage is talking about elders and I believe we have to account for how we care care for our sheep.

I have heard it said that elders are responsible for the salvation of their flock.  Not true.  I cannot save anyone.  Jesus and God do that.  And I am only responsible for my personal faithfulness.  Just as each individual is.

So then ... what does it mean to give account for the sheep under my care?

I believe that as a shepherd my job is to encourage, motivate, and inspire my flock.  I want to be out in front leading them into heaven.  I have to be sure that when my flock follows me that they will end up in heaven.

So it is important to warn any of my sheep that leave the safe path.  I believe as an elder I have to warn, rebuke, give advice, hold out a hand, model forgiveness, and discourage action or talk that could lead to someone to fall from grace.

So elders pray, speak truth, confront, encourage, and lead by example so all the flock gets home safely.

Even if my sheep get mad, or threaten to quit, I will act and speak to the dangers I see.  And as a shepherd, I will not endorse actions that endanger their salvation.

I give pointed advice based on Scripture in an effort to bring wandering sheep back into the safety of the flock.

That is an enormous responsibility, but here is what enables a shepherd to bear up under it.  I am not responsible for whether anyone listens, obeys, or follows.  That is their choice.

I seek credibility by using Scripture, by living forgiven myself, for being vulnerable enough to be living proof that God restores, and by investing in lives so that they know they are loved by me.

So I do not believe God is going to hold me accountable if you choose to leave Jesus.  He will hold me accountable for not trying to change that decision.

Sometimes elders are afraid to be seen as meddlers or be accused of being judgmental.  It hurts when one of your faith family ignores you, disobeys you, or will not listen.

But it hurts more to not try.

So that is why elders cry, plead, pray, study, and show up in the middle of the night to help.  It is why we are willing to get down in the muck and mire of your sin to help you out.  It is why we are willing to endure the blood and vomit of a life blown apart by sin.

Because we love you.  Because Jesus and God love you.  Because your are our family.

So here is the job of an elder:  do all that we can to get everyone home safe.

So God, please strengthen your shepherds all over your kingdom. Give them courage to be faithful to your call.  Help us get your people home safe to you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?