Tuesday, October 13, 2015

 

What is a blameless, above reproach elder anyway?

Timothy and Titus have the phrase "blameless" and "above reproach".  I Peter says be an example for the flock.  So what does that mean for those of us who are thinking about serving as elders?

It does not mean perfect.  Let's be real.  Only Jesus was perfect.  There are no elders who are perfect.  Not in our past.  Not in our present.  Not in our future.  I do not believe the standard is perfection.  I do not believe it means that we should find men whose sins are not public or known by others -- those who just keep up appearances.

I also do not think it means that elders are just like everyone else so do not expect more out of them than you would any Christian.

Here is what I do think about elders living as blameless, above reproach examples.

We should hold ourselves to a higher standard.  I don't mean to be better, but to expect more out of ourselves.  Let me give some concrete examples.

Christians should not get drunk.  None of us should, but some of my flock really struggle with alcohol.  We even have a service named "bar church" so yeah, alcohol is a constant struggle.  It is a battle in our culture.  It is a struggle for our teenagers.  Elders are not to be given to much wine.  So I would not argue that Christians cannot social drink as long as they do not get drunk.  But why the admonition to elders to be careful about how much they drink?  Maybe it is the higher standard idea.  Should elders intentionally choose not to drink?  Or to be very careful about where they have a glass of wine?  could this be part of what it means to be above reproach and an example for the flock.

I have lived for some time under a set of guidelines that have to do with the opposite sex.  No lunches, no phone calls that cannot be overheard. No one- on-one counseling, no closed doors.  Are these behaviors prohibited in Scripture?  Or are these ways an elder should insure blameless and above reproach?

There are other examples I could use.  Church attendance,  Should elders be more rigorous in attendance?  What about giving?  Should elders be encouraged to talk about how much they give?  At least in terms of percentages.  Higher standards and expectations.  Blameless, above reproach, examples.

There are lots of behaviors that may not be required but I believe elders should practice.

And when a man says that this is infringing on his freedom in Christ, then maybe he is not ready to be a shepherd.

I want to set the bar higher as an elder.  I should expect more from the leaders than I do from the followers.

I do want to set standards in my life that cannot be questioned -- blameless.

I want to live in ways that would not give excuses or cause spiritual babies in my flock to be confused -- above reproach.

I want to set an example.

So am I saying that elders cannot be just like their members?  Yes.  Am I arguing that I have to give up certain rights and freedoms just because I am a shepherd?  Yes.

We are asking and expecting people to look to us to see how to follow Jesus.  We are not perfect.  We still have many things to work on in our lives.  But we are going to expect more from ourselves as leaders.  We are going to follow practices that protect us and our flock.  We are going to attempt to go above and beyond in setting an example.

So Father... I know how far I am from your holiness.  But I want to live like your Son.  Help me to live in such a way that my flock will not be confused or have reason to falter because of what they have seen in me.  Thank you for forgiving my failures.  I am sorry for the lessons I had to learn the hard way but thankful for your grace.  So I'll keep growing and maturing till you send your son to take me, my family, and my flock home.  

Comments:
I have found your comments regarding Elders over the past several post interesting. You recall the scriptures regarding wine, drinking, etc., as easily as you do including wives into personal conversations that your flock may have, what scripture do you call on to support that agreement?

Women were not on the same standard as men when the Bible was written, so now because of a "closed door" situational concern you now include wives, or others? Why would you be concerned about a "closed door" conversation if your heart, thoughts, and intentions are pure? Or you stated the burden of a conversation is to heavly you to carry on your own so you include wives?

I asked in a recent post why Pope Francis had such a huge following, I think the answer is he does not judge, He gave scripture, he is/was a truly compassionate person to all, he is humble, and most importantly, he knows only God can decide who will go to heaven. Pure in heart.

I am reminded of the old hymn THE WAY OF THE CROSS LEADS HOME not the way of Tom, Dick or Harry. How can a christian be me, mine, or my? As I have stated many times your posts cause me to clarify my feeling about a christian life.

Peace
 
Regardless of what those terms mean, the potential elder must have the requisite number of children who belong to a cofC, have one wife who is alive, and think like the current elders.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?