Tuesday, December 15, 2015

 

Grandpa turned 88

My father-in-law, Don Herttenberger, just turned 88.  I love him.  He has been much more a Dad to me than a father-in-law.  Here are just a few reasons I love him and am proud of him.

He loves family.  He prays lots for his kids, grands, and his great-grandkids.  He is proud of their accomplishments.  He is most proud of their faith.  One of his best moments recently was hearing all about Anna, our 10 year old granddaughter, and her decision to follow Jesus.  Loved hearing every moment of our telling about her baptism.

Married over 70 years.  Still loves Granny.  Great example of what a faithful husband is.

He loves his church family.  The Herttenbergers are one of the great families in the history of Southern Hills.  There are dozens and dozens of families at SH who still tell us he was the first person they met when they came to Southern Hills. .  

He is a man of the land.  He is a farmer thru and thru.  There are values there that matter.  Trusting God for a crop.  Praying for rain.  Or for it to stop.  Planting seeds.  Getting a harvest.  Spiritual values. 

He is a man of great faith.  He would never serve as an elder at Southern Hills even though he was asked several times.  But in a way he did.  Because he is the one I ask advice from about people I shepherd.  He gives good counsel.  Always tells me things will be alright.  

He knows he is closer and closer to going home forever.  And he is good with that.  He has taken care of Granny financially, emotionally, and spiritually.  After all, he converted her.  Still leads his family in powerful ways.  

Gives, prays, shows up to worship.  

He has shown me how to be a better man, a better husband, and a better father.

He has loves me, forgives me, prays for me, encourages me, and is proud of me.

And he gave me Marsha.  

So thanks God for Grandpa.  He is one your great men of faith.  He has blessed both his family and his church family.  Help me be more like him.   

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?