Wednesday, January 13, 2016

 

Fussing and fighting over the Bible.

Women's role in the church.  Congregational worship.  Church leadership models and practice.  How and when to share the Lord's Supper.

These are areas of discussion and concern -- or areas for fighting and dividing -- among many churches.

I wish we could discuss, agree to disagree, bless and support each other --  in spite of differing interpretations and conclusions.

In some ways I believe we fight so intently because we are so driven by Scripture.  And of course in churches of Christ, we have not governing body to settle these questions.  Each congregation decides what they will do.  And they all appeal to Scripture.

But I wish we would stop doing two things with Scripture that are very confusing.

Stop saying Scripture means what it does not say.  It is very confusing to find out that what it taught as Scripture may in fact not even be addressed in Scripture.  You may interpret or draw conclusions from Scripture but that is not the same as claiming God said something he did not.

And stop saying Scripture does not say what it does say.  Interpretation is one thing.  But do not say the Bible does not mean what it does say.  Drawing conclusions and interpretation is not the same as what Scripture says.

Because if we are not very careful, we will end up with members that no longer believe what we teach.  Or members who will decide that Bible study should only be left to the preacher.  Or to the professors.

Or our young people will grow up and search for a community of faith that is more honest about Scripture.

I do not want to be someone who adds to what God said to prove my position.  Dangerous.

Nor do I want to be someone who removes the Scriptures I do not agree with.  Scary.

Well, these are just things I have been thinking about.

But I do believe the biggest issue facing our churches may not be issues about worship and organization.

The biggest issue may be how we view Scripture.

God, I believe you communicate with us through your Word.  And I believe you know what matters.  You made us, love us, and have saved us.  Give us wisdom and patience.  Help us to love each other, and to respect each other.  Help us be one in you and in your body.

Comments:
I think you hit the nail on the head in the third line, the failure to agree to disagree on particular issues. I also think the arguments may add up to people wanting to keep the traditions to which the have become accustomed, covered by a semi-rational (and often theologically questionable) set of scriptural interpretations. By the way, this does not only occur in the Church of Christ.

In my own life, I have felt enormous growth when I have taken the leap of embracing the complexity of different people's scriptural interpretations and focused on the important heart behind it. The amazing part about it for me is that engaging this complexity has allowed me to have spiritual relationships with former drug addicts, right-wing crazies, Austin liberal hipsters, and even robotic academics! I just more people would give it a shot!
 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Steve. I have observed many of the same tendencies and couldn't agree more with your conclusions. I think it's significant that Jesus prayed that His disciples would be united, not that they would always agree with one another on every issue. There's a big difference.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?