Thursday, February 25, 2016

 

Of course you are going to have tension between preachers and elders

Of course there is going to be conflict between ministers and elders.  And to some extent I think it is unavoidable.  Some of that is because of the way our churches are organized.  Unique to American culture.  Because money causes tension.

And here is what I mean.

I believe ministry is both a calling and a career, a passion and a profession.  Because of this, conflict is inevitable.

For example, preachers get frustrated when elders do not give proper respect and attention to their gifts as leaders.  Many preachers want to be seen as pastors -- even the senior pastor.  They have training, experience, and education.  Combine that with passion and a sense of calling and why would you not let them lead the church.

Except of course that preachers want the right to leave when a better opportunity comes their way.  Just like in any profession.  A church calls that is closer to family, or near a place you have always wanted to live, or with better ministry opportunities, or even that just pays more.  Better for your family.

So the leader of the church, the one you have been asked to follow, is all of a sudden gone.

Natural conflict.  Follow me except that I might leave you at any time.  Or be our leader but you cannot leave to for a better opportunity.

No preacher wants to be treated like an employee.  Some elder checking your work schedule.  Or evaluating your ministry.  It can be humiliating and even demeaning.

Except preachers want to be paid like an employee.  Negotiate a salary.  Not just support, but paid commensurate with your talent, experience, and education.

Hard to have it both ways.

Hire a preacher because you believe they will be a great fit and incredibly effective.  But don't fire them if they are not.  And who decides that anyway?  The preacher?  Never met one yet who admits they are not getting it done and should be fired.

Or take a job because it is a church that wants you to lead them and set a vision.  Until you realize that they are not following.  Time to leave?  Or time to stay in it together?

Elders thinking the preacher works for them while they think they are working for Jesus.  Elders who control your financial future.

Elders who also mostly have, or had, jobs in the workplace.  Some of them have been fired.  Some of them left jobs for better opportunities.

And this is a pattern far different than the one you see in the New Testament.  But lots of things are different now that then.  And different in America than in Cuba or Africa.

I have been a preacher in local ministry.  I am currently a preacher working for a non-profit.  And yes, I have a boss.  And I am an elder.

I have told preachers they should listen to that other church because it really sounded like a better opportunity.  And I have been hurt when ministers left.  I have pushed to hire ministers and I have voted to fire ministers.

So what is the solution?

I have no idea.

Passion and profession.  Career and calling.

I think there is always going to be tension.

I've been paid well and I have done ministry for free.

And in fairness, I've never wanted to lead a church as a preacher.   Just wanted to talk about Jesus.  But that's a little idealistic, huh?

So I love elders who have to answer for how we spend money given to God thru us.

And I love preachers who give their life to full-time ministry.

So blessings on all.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?