Tuesday, February 23, 2016

 

Rick, Jarrod, Southern Hills, and reaching the lost

Last Sunday was my first Sunday to be home at Southern Hills since the holidays.

Rick Atchley from the The Hills was our guest preacher.  Rick used to be our preacher and he was back as part of the year long celebration of our fiftieth anniversary as Southern Hills.  I have long admired and appreciated Rick for several reasons.  One is that he is a really gifted preacher.  Another is that my kids go to the Hills so I am partial to that church.  But I really appreciate Rick because he is passionate and intentional about reaching lost people.

And that is what he talked about Sunday.  Not just having missionaries, but being mission.  Talking about Jesus.  Growing the kingdom.  And yes, I do realize he was preaching about my passion.  I spend my life motivating and equipping churches to make disciples.  Marsha and I are intentional about telling people about Jesus.  So obviously I was excited about it.

So here are just a few thoughts that Rick sparked in me.

Churches that lose sight of their purpose die.

Churches that focus on themselves and not on the lost will die.

But we are not evangelistic because we do not want to cease to exist as a church.  We are evangelistic because our world needs to know Jesus.  They are lost without him.  We have to tell them.

So I want Southern Hills to be all about sharing Jesus in our world, especially here in Abilene.  That's our world.  I am glad that has long been part of Southern Hills heritage.  I want it be our identity now.
Rick did not preach this sermon just for Southern Hills.  I know it is what he has been preaching at the Hills for a couple of years.  He and I have talked before about the importance of not just having preachers and theologians and ministers on our church staffs -- but having evangelists.  And by the way, I comment the Hills for having a full-time evangelist on their staff.  Every church should.

And yes, I wish Southern Hills did.

But I also appreciate Jarrod Robinson, our regular preacher at Southern Hills.  He asked Rick to preach about this.  Because Jarrod thinks it is important too.

So thanks Rick and Jarrod.  I love the passion for the lost.  So for my Southern Hills flock, let's be intentional about sharing our faith and making disciples.  After all, their lives depend on it.

And as an extra bonus, it was nice to hear that message.  Usually I am the one preaching and teaching it.  Good to get fired up myself.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?