Tuesday, June 21, 2016

 

The Greatest Father's Day Ever



My heart is full.

Last Sunday, Father's Day, was one of the best days of my life.

That was the day my son baptized his oldest son into Christ.

Joe Don, my son, and his wife Jamie have been very intentional about imparting faith to their children.  Their goal has always been for their children to follow Jesus because of their personal faith and not just because of parental faith.

Andrew made that choice Sunday.

He has always had a heart for Jesus.  He loves to sing praises.  He has always talked about Jesus. He treats people the way Jesus would.

His Mom and Dad talked a lot with Andrew about what this decision means for his life.  They gave him a lot of Bible passages to read.  And he did.  They all prayed a lot about it.

He talked to several of us about his decision.

He even wrote a letter explaining what he believes about Jesus.  Here are the highlights of Andrew's belief confession.

That Jesus is God's Son and that God loved us so much that he sent Jesus to earth to die for our sins.

That Jesus is the way to God.

That baptism is a way to share in his death.

That Jesus was raised from the dead and we will be too if we believe in him.

That he wants to spend his life sharing the good news of Jesus with other people.

The only thing I ever really wanted for my kids was that they would decide to follow Jesus because it was their choice, not mine.

And that is all I really want for my grandkids.

Now Andrew has, just like his sister Anna.  And I fully expect that so will Austin, Avery, and Jake.

I got to watch my son baptize his son into Jesus.  It really does not get any better than that.

So God thank you for Andrew.  Thank you that his parents taught him just like they were taught.  Protect him from the evil one.  Use him to share the good news with his world.  I look forward to the amazing things you will do with -- and through -- Andrew.  We love you.

Comments:
I do not know how old your grandson is, but I hope he remembers his reasons for baptism when faced with the difficulties and temptations life will bring. I wonder if our children are mature enough to truly understand their commitments, and what sin is now removed from their life due to this event.

It is hard to talk about sin with a child, they have no measurement of evil and the faces of it at a young age, especially in a christian home and enviroment. I want my 4 yr old grandson (who is sitting here with me) to understand that tempation is real, sin is bad, and to be able when the time comes to choose to live a christian life because he see's the difference between the two lifestyles.

Your situation is differen due to your profession, your children and grandchrildren were raised in the Church of Christ, how many kids that were baptized over the years,whose parents were not church leaders are still active and involved today?

When does God's grace and forgiveness stop covering children, and hold them accountable for their lives, could it be when they are no longer children?

Just my thoughts,best always-
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?