Thursday, July 07, 2016

 

What I learned from another heart test

Well I had another heart test today.  Treadmill, bunch of pictures of my heart, and got shot up with some kind of dye.

Here are some lessons I learned.

I still have some kind of irregular EKG that freaks out medical people.  I have probably had it all my life but certainly since I was 50 and they first discovered it.  It is either nothing to worry about or it is going blow my heart someday.  Or something in between.

Truth is that none of us are promised long life on our terms.  Car wreck, plane crash, cancer, or my heart.  All possible.  Not sure any are probable.  But I am promised eternal life.  Better than this life anyway.  And the people I love most are all going to live forever too, so...

Live life every day.  I really don't think I would change much if I knew I was going to die tomorrow.  I talk to someone about Jesus almost every day.  The people that matter to me all know how much I love them and how proud I am of them.  My legacy is pretty well set in my kids and grands so I'll just keep living happy and die happier.

Encouragement is a good thing.  When you are on the treadmill, someone is always asking if you are OK.  I think that is exactly what we Christians should be doing with each other.  And they are always telling you how good you are doing and what good shape you are in. We should all be great encouragers.  It makes you try harder and do better.

Cardiac labs have a lot of really old people in them.  I think I was the youngest one there by several years.  Or maybe they just all look old because  -- well, after all they are at a cardio lab.  But no one said anything to me about my age.  Looking around reminded me that I have way more years on this earth behind me than I do in front of me.  If life is like a football game, I am early in the 4th quarter.  But I am not old.  Don't think like it, don't act like it.  And I am going to finish strong.  Faithful to the end.

And above all, I was reminded that God is in control.  He is the real healer and the giver of life.  Now and forever.

So thanks God for life here.  Take care of my heart.  I promise to finish strong -- whether that is days or decades from now.  Because this life is not the end.  I will keep praising you for giving me life that never ends.  And keep giving me chances to invite others into this life.  

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?