Thursday, September 29, 2016

 

Flu Shots and Spiritual Disciplines

Stupid flu shot.  I had mine today.

They told me older people need one.  I just don't think I am old.

I probably wouldn't get the flu anyway because I am generally healthy.

Besides, shouldn't health be proactive and not just preventative.

You know... like spiritual disciplines -- Bible reading, praying, fasting.

The truth is that of course I want my spiritual disciplines to help me be a better follower of Jesus.

But sometimes my spiritual disciplines better be preventative.

Because sometimes I am weaker spiritually than I want to be.  I don't want to think I am weak, but of course it is a good idea to build up my defenses.

And I will be tempted.  No way Satan stops fighting me now.  We have been at war for a long time and I guess we will be till I am home for good.

So the flu shot may be very smart in preventing a future illness.

And spiritual disciplines may be very smart in preventing future spiritual illness.

So God keep me healthy so I can be active doing your work.  Use the flu shot if you choose to.  And keep me spiritually healthy so Satan does not harm me.  Use our conversations thru prayer and your Word to protect me.  And grow me.

Comments:
"Let not your heart be troubled" as I read your posts I have to wonder why it appears that you feel like you constantly are not "there" yet. I understand you will feel tempted as a christian or for that matter a human being, but I also feel that you should be at peace with your choices in life. I make choices that reflect my belief system, and I choose to be at peace with that decision. I do not expect my support system of friends to override, or endorse that decision.

I remember reading a quote at one point that stated "you take to the grave only what you have given away". I feel as a christian, if you have done all that you can to improve life you should be able to live peacefully with yourself in the world. You know the way home - follow your heart, and believe in your faith to get you safely there.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Steve, I love this post. You have given me food for thought.

To Eloise... I do not believe that as Christians we should ever feel as though we have "arrived". As we follow Christ we will learn more and more about not only Christ but ourselves. That knowledge should produce fruit in us as we walk the path. Even the Apostle Paul stated that he had not already attained but still pressed onward toward the goal to which he had been called in Christ. Be sure not to confuse peace with complacency. However, I do believe you can be at peace and rest in the promises of our Lord. But the Christian who ceases to strive, ceases to grow and flourish. And a Christian that stops growing stops presenting a lifestyle that shines and attracts people to Christ. We don't need to be followers of our hearts-our hearts have proven time and time again to be deceivers and are apt to lead us astray. We don't know the way but we know someone who does. Christ came to show us the way. We are to be followers of Christ not of ourselves.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?