Tuesday, September 27, 2016

 

I did not enjoy Eddie's class or Jarrod's sermon series...

I got to hear my friend Eddie Sharp teach a class at ACU Summit recently and I did not like it.  It was about the importance of spiritual disciplines.  Prayer, fasting, reading Scripture.  I told Eddie I did not enjoy the class.

And our preacher at Southern Hills, Jarrod Robinson, is preaching a series on OPEN, It is about spiritual practices that help create space in our busy lives so God can work in us and on us.  Twelve of these.  Not enjoying it.

And here is why.  I am by nature a DOER.  I would rather preach, talk to people about Jesus, help in their spiritual battles.  Too many people and not enough time.  Not only that but I am just not naturally introspective like that.

So I did not enjoy that class and I do not enjoy that sermon series.

So thanks Eddie and Jarrod.

Sometimes what I need will not be what I enjoy..

Maybe I need to slow down and be filled. Maybe I will even be more effective sharing Jesus with others if I am sharing from the overflow of being filled by Him.

So I am trying to work on my spiritual practices.

Still not enjoying class or sermon series, but maybe that is not the point of spiritual growth.  Maybe the point of spiritual growth is to do what is good for me because I love and enjoy God.

So God thanks for Eddie and Jarrod.  Thanks for brothers who see things I do not.  Help me to slow up enough to fill up.  And then use me up.  For your Son.

Comments:
The Jews did not enjoy a sermon by the best teacher that ever lived but it was what they needed. My biggest problem is that I'm hearing too many sermons that I enjoy.
 
Ron. Amen and Amen.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?