Tuesday, September 13, 2016

 

Thoughts on a milestone birthday





Well, I made it.  I turned 65 last Sunday.  I have never put much stock in numbers but everyone seems to think 65 is a major milestone.

I act like I'm 45 and look like I'm 85 so 65 is about right for me.  And to use one of my favorite illustrations, if life was like a football game I am early in the fourth quarter.

And hee are a few of my thoughts.

Many people use milestone birthdays to look over their life and reflect on what they have -- and have not -- accomplished.  I am really not very introspective that way.  We have managed not to accumulate much.  Not much money, or possessions, or debt.  Not exactly a "big name" in my profession, but getting paid to do what I love.  And paid to do what I would be doing anyway.  Talking about Jesus.

Marsha and I have been doing life together 43 years.  I like where we are.

My kids are both faithful Christians.  Happier about that than anything else.

My five grands are well on their way to being healthy, active followers of Jesus.

That's the legacy I would choose.

Past that I really don't see much point in reflecting back over life.  Much more interested in tomorrow than yesterday.  Would do a lot of things differently.  Would do a lot the same.  I am content with who I am and where I am.

Everyone seems to want to know about my future.  When will I retire?  What am I going to do?  How about money?

I don't really have plans.  I just want to keep on telling people about Jesus until I am no longer able.

I will work for Hope for Life until they stop paying me.  Or maybe a church will want an evangelist or a full-time elder.  Or maybe we will make on what we have.  God has always taken care of us.  Always.  Can't imagine that he will not take care of us in the future.

So I am pretty much living life at 65 just like I did at 64.  And like I will at 66.

Love God.  Follow Jesus.  Love Mimi, the kids, and the grands.

Tell people about Jesus.  Help Christians to know how to tell others about Jesus.  Help struggling Christians keep their faith.

And someday go home to real home and real life.  Then wait for Mimi and the rest of the family to get there.

Not much of a plan.

Or a really, really great plan.

So thanks God for 65 years.  You have always taken care of me and you always will.  So do with me what you want till I get to be with you forever. 



Comments:
Happy Birthday Ridgell!! I'm always grateful for your good influence on me!
Praying God's blessings on you and the family!
Love in Christ, Richard B
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?