Tuesday, October 25, 2016

 

My mother-in-law is home for good

Jean Herttenberger, Marsha's mom, is home.  It was a long journey and we knew it was coming. God's promise of no more pain and tears is real now in her life.  Here are a few of the thoughts shared at her funeral celebration.

She died like she lived.  Faithful.  She was baptized when Marsha was just a couple of months old.  Realized she wanted to be a Christian wife and mother.  And she was.

She loved her family.  Married to Grandpa over 71 years.  Some of those years were hard and sometimes they fought.  But they always loved.  What a testimony to faithful marriage.  For better or worse.  Richer or poorer.  Sickness or health.  They modeled all of that for us.  She was the emotional center of their home.

Raised three faithful kids.  Not perfect but faithful.

Left a faith legacy.  One of her grandsons, Joe Don, helped do  her funeral.  Pretty special when your son, son-in-law, and grandson all speak at your funeral.

She had a really special bond with her daughter Marsha.  Granny taught Marsha to love Jesus and to live her faith.  Marsha and Granny taught our daughter Julie to love Jesus and live her faith.  And then Granny, Marsha, and Julie taught Julie's daughter Avery to love Jesus and live her faith.  We called them #1, 2, 3, and 4.  Sweet and special.

She made a home.  There is no way to tally the number of people who ate around their table.  Or how many meals Granny fixed for people.  Everyone that came to see her got her hug, her smile, and an "I love you".  Everyone.  Her son, Donnie, talked about how she always made him feel special.  So did Joe Don.  So did I.  It was one of her gifts to all of us.

Everyone thought that they were her favorite.  I did.  Marsha did.  Julie did. Avery did.  And on and on it went.

She loved prayer circles.  Holding hands and praying.  Really loved to hear her great-grandkids pray.
Loved singing.  In her last months, she came to love the song This Is the Day.  Not sure how this all happened but I do know that Joe Don and his family sing it at breakfast.  I know Julie's two sing it on the way to school.  I heard Marsha sing it to her, I sang it to her, her greats sang it to her.  We all sang it to her.  Often she would sing it with us.

It was how she lived life.  Every day was a gift from God.  A day to be happy.  A day to love Jesus.  A day to live her faith.

She was special to me.  Loved me when she didn't have to -- and maybe shouldn't have -- but did.

We knew I would probably be off preaching somewhere when she went home.  We talked about it.  She told me to go talk about Jesus.  Just come back and do her funeral.

I was in Nicaragua the day she died.  Made it home and did the funeral.

Looking forward to when I get to see her again.

And I will.

Thanks God for Granny.  Thanks for loving her home.  She loved you and loved us.  She made us feel special.  Her life is still seen in Marsha, Julie, and Avery.  She died like she lived.  She honored you.

Comments:
Steve, Please give Marsha our love. I don't remember meeting her mom, but reading your blogs over the years I feel like I knew her. What a great legacy of faith she leaves. Y'all our in our prayers.
Love in Christ, Richard B
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?