Tuesday, November 08, 2016

 

A Guide for Christian Voters

I know today is election day and most have made up their mind and may have already voted or chosen not to vote.  But there will be more elections, so here are some things I think Christians must consider during elections.

Above all, honor Jesus.  Do not let differences of opinions over earthly things harm your relationships with other Christians.  And people that disagree with you are not ignorant or unfeeling.

And I am calling on elders to shepherd their flocks in this regard.  Do not let your churches harm the body of Christ and wreck our influence by how we act during election season.

So...

A Christian must first decide if it is appropriate to vote or not.  It is clear to most of you what I think, but that may not be what you decide.  You have to decide how to be a citizen of the kingdom of heaven and how to live in an earthly country or kingdom.  I know passionate followers of Jesus who will not vote, others who will vote only in local elections, and some who vote in national elections.  Determine what is right for you.

If you do vote, do so in the proper context.  You are never voting for a Christian system or in a way that makes the country Christian.  That is not possible.  There are no Christian nations.  And only by making followers of Jesus can you make any place more Christian.  You may decide to vote according to your Christian values,but that is hard to do.  Impossible in this presidential election.  I just cannot see Jesus in the policies or actions of either candidate.  So vote on earthly political values.  Decide what you think is best for your country and vote accordingly.

Just do not claim you are voting for the candidate of Jesus.  And don't write in Jesus.  He is not interested in ruling over any political or geographic system.  Jesus wants to be Lord, not president.

Stop holding up politicians as heroes and role models.  Some might be.  Most are not.  I would not want my family to look at either candidate as someone to emulate.  Find your heroes in your own family.  Many of you have role models there.  Find them in your churches.  There are lots of real heroes and role models there.  

And one last thing.  If you really want to see a Christian nation, then start making disciples in your world.  The disciple maker who does not vote has done more to make this a "Christian" nation than the disciple who votes but has never talked to their neighbors or friends about Jesus.

And by the way... however today turns out I am happy and blessed.  I am saved.  My family is saved.  My Lord is still in control.  He won a long time ago.  And because of him I win too.

Go God.  Thanks Jesus.

So God I ask that your will be done in this election.  I'll pray for whoever wins.  And I'll do my part in changing this country and this world by being your ambassador to share the message that Jesus died for our sins and you raised him the dead.  

Comments:
Thank you for this post.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?