Tuesday, December 20, 2016

 

What to say to your family over the holidays...

If there is one thing I am relentless about over the holidays, it is to intentionally spend time with everyone of my family to give them a special message.  If you regularly read this blog, you will know what it is.  I tell each one of my family how much I love them and why I am so proud of them.

It is the same thing I do on this blog for all the birthdays and anniversaries.

I do it because it matters.  It matters to me because I want them to know they loved.  And why.

It matters to them because we all need to feel valuable and loved.  All of us do.

And to be honest, some of them will not be here next year.

I may not be here next year.  And I do know what I want them to remember from Pops.

You need to do this for the people in your family also.

But credit where credit is due.

I stole this idea from God.

Go back and read what God tells his son at the end of Matthew 3.

Identify the relationship.  Parents, kids, grands.  I remind them of why I am glad about our relationship.

Express love.  Never miss a chance to say I love you to the people that matter.  By the way, this is not just for the holidays, but always.  I am asking my grands how they know that Pops loves them.  Everyone of them without fail says it is because I am always telling them.

Say you are proud of them.  And tell them why.  I do talk about athletics and academics.  I do talk about professional success.  But mostly I talk about the things that really matter that make me proud.

Faith legacy.  Fighting for their faith.  Sharing their faith.  Living like Jesus.  Loving God.  Loving others.  Things that matter.

So tell your people this year.

I am going to tell mine.

So thanks God for my people.  I do love them and I am proud of them.  And I give you the glory for who they are and what they do.  Help them to always know because I tell them.

Comments:
Thank you for a timely post, Steve. This is great advice for every family.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?