Tuesday, January 24, 2017

 

Biting My Tongue Hurts...

I have started this post several times and deleted it each time.

There is so much I want to say about the way some of my brothers and sisters in Christ are acting.

But I have to realize that there incredibly strong and faithful Christians who voted for Trump.  Or for Hillary.  They really believe that is what God wanted them to do.

I know faithful committed Christians who watched the Inauguration with grateful and thankful hearts and some who engaged in various forms of protest.

I have brothers and sisters that were truly afraid for what would happen if Hillary won.  And some who are truly afraid because Trump won.

I am very concerned that some are making politics an unspoken condition of fellowship.  Not for the first time.  I have spent time in years past explaining why you did not have to be a Republican to be part of my community of faith.  But I know why they thought you did.  The religious right could sure make it difficult to see Jesus unless you agreed with their politics.

And now I find myself explaining that you do not have to be a Democrat to be a Christian.  But I can see why some think that.  The religious left can sure make it difficult to see Jesus unless you agree with their politics.

But I am reminding myself that I know some of the people on both sides and they do love Jesus.  I strongly disagree with what they are saying and doing.  And most of you that know me know that I could not conscientiously vote for either candidate.  And you know that I do not vote as a matter of principle.

But you may disagree with me.  And I want to think you still love me.

So...

I am going to love my brothers and sisters that choose to speak and act in ways that I would not.  When I think it is damaging to my flock or my family I will try to respond in truth and love.

I am going to remember that there are lost people in my country and in my community that are watching them, but that are watching me also.

So I am going to elevate Jesus above all.  I am going to use all of my efforts to glorify God and to help others be reconciled to him.  I want to be known as an ambassador for God and as a representative of his Kingdom.

I invite you to join me.

But in the meantime, I am going to bite my tongue.

God, help me to see others as you do.  Help me to remember that they are family.  That they love you. And that we do not have to agree on everything.  I pray for unity in your church. I pray that everything we do glorifies you and points others to Jesus.  He is the only real answer for this country and every country.  

Comments:
Amen.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?