Tuesday, February 07, 2017

 

I Don't Want to Write and Talk More than I Live

Those of you who regularly read my blog (and I really appreciate both of you) know that I am a huge fan of doers, not just talkers -- or writers.  I am drawn to preachers and writers who are doing what they talk about.  It is easy for those of us who write, preach, or shepherd (or teach or parent) to fall into the trap of telling people what to do without also showing them how to do.  It becomes easy to tell others to do what I am not doing in my own life.

I go all over the world talking to non-believers about Jesus.  And I spend the rest of my time talking to Christians in an effort to equip and motivate them to talk about Jesus.  But that is what Marsha and I do right here in Abilene.  We share Jesus.  That is not part of my job.  My church does not pay me to do this.  It is what we believe and who we are.  And it has to be.  If not, I am missing the point.

So let me encourage those of you who talk -- in whatever capacity -- or who write (including your facebook posts) to be sure you are doing first.

And I am big on local, not just away from home ministry.  If the only time I talk about Jesus is when I am on the road and on the job -- then I am missing the point.  I am not against short-term missions to care for orphans or serve the needy (or even talk about Jesus).  Unless that is the only time you do it.  There are poor, hungry, needy, and lost people where you live.

And I believe in individual and family action much more than church programs (and certainly more than legislative action).  Writing about the failure of your country, or your political leader, to act the way you believe Jesus would is misplaced anyway.  America is not God's nation and most of our leaders are not Jesus people.

And even talking and writing about how your church (note to self:  my church) is not doing the things you think it should might you feel better, but it probably changes nothing.  But what you do in the lives of people changes everything.

So be careful about you write and say.  Live it first.

So put your life where your mouth is.  Start where you live. Stop using all your energy and emotion on getting programs changed, started, or stopped.  You change.  You start.  You stop.

Until we do more than we speak or write, I am not sure we really have much to say.

I do realize that speaking and writing about how to be in people's lives is much easier and less risky than actually being in people's lives.

My righteousness needs to be from God and not from self.  And it is awful easy to be self-righteous when just writing or speaking.  

And yes, I realize I preach and write a lot.  But I am more committed to living it.  I always want my words to flow out of my life.

And believe me, I do know how much easier it is to post or talk than it is to live.  But if we are going to lead in our families, our churches, and in our world ... then live it first.

So God help me look at my life first.  Help me to live before -- and more than -- I speak or write.    

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?