Wednesday, May 31, 2017

 

Am I really following Jesus if it is easy?

What does it cost to follow Jesus?

Jesus uses language like leaving family and work to follow him.

He talks of denying self and taking up our cross.

He speaks of persecution.

Baptism is described as dying with Jesus.

Which leads me to ask what it is that following Jesus has cost us.

Is there anything in your life that is different because of Jesus?

Is there anything you have had to change because of him?

I am not sure following Jesus should ever be easy.  After all, dying is hard.

So maybe our conversations should not be about meeting our needs.  Or finding what makes me happy.  Or chasing cheap grace.  Thinking repentance is about being sorry or being caught.

What if following Jesus cannot be about what we want, what makes us happy, or what fulfills our perceived needs for self esteem and satisfaction?

The discussion should always be about Jesus.  And in following him we will find what we are looking for because he really does know better than us what real life is.

Just thinking about hard decisions and life choices.

Admitting that most of the problems in my life came because I put myself before Jesus.

Helping some in my flock get their eyes on Jesus instead of themselves.

Realizing that most church problems and fights come because we are defining what God wants through our eyes, not his.

Sometimes wishing things could be the way I want them to be.  Or wondering why God doesn't understand that I have this life thing figured out.

But that is not how dead people should think.

We were crucified with Jesus.  Maybe we ought to try and live that way.

Dying, persecution, and self denial.  That is the Jesus way.

It is hard.

And it is worth it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?