Thursday, May 04, 2017

 

The Parable of the Ad Salesman and the Soul Winner

I have always tried to make disciples of Jesus.  Sometimes I was paid by a church, sometimes I supported myself.  There was a period of time when my income came from selling ads for a phone book.  I was especially good at selling new advertisers.  Good enough to win some awards.  Even more telling... good enough to have members of my sales team ask me how I did it.  

Jesus taught a lot of lessons from everyday life.  He called them parables.  Everyday stories that had spiritual application.  So here is what I did to sell new advertisers.  I think there is a lesson here about sharing Jesus.

When asked how I sold so many new accounts, I always said it was a God thing.  I asked him to bless my business and I gave him the glory when it went well.

I worked really hard at it.  I talked to every business I could about advertising in our book.  I noticed a direct correlation between how many businesses I talked to and how much I sold.

I thought the product sold itself.  I just told stories about how it had helped other businesses to grow.
But I always asked for the sale.

I had a lot of fun.  And I did really well.  Thanks God.

So...

I ask God to help me see the people around me that need Jesus.  I give him the glory when people respond to his Son.

I talk to a lot of people.  I ask visitors to my church if they have any questions or want to know more about following Jesus.  Every time I speak anywhere I ask people to please let us know if they have questions.

Jesus sells himself.  I just tell stories from Scripture and stories about followers today.  Stories of how Jesus makes a difference.

I always ask if they want to visit a service with me, or if they want to hear another story, or if they want to die with Jesus and be raised to a new life.

And God has -- and is -- giving a great harvest.

And it is fun.  I am happy and blessed.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?