Tuesday, August 29, 2017

 

God, Giving, Glory, and Natural Disasters

It happens every time a natural disaster strikes.  People want to know how they can help.  As Christians, that is our nature.  We want to love our neighbor as our self, and we want to serve others.

Let me say first that helping in a time of disaster is much more than money.  If you can give of your time and muscles, or if you can open your home, then do so.  Pray.  Prayer is not something you do if you cannot help in any other way, it is what you do before, during, and after all other help.

But having said that, financial contributions can be invaluable in times of disaster.  There are any number of organizations that use contributions to provide needed supplies during these times.  Many of these organizations are even faith based.  I appreciate all they do.

But personally, I am giving to local churches, or to groups that partner with local churches.

And here is why.  Because God gets the glory.  Other organizations do relief in their name and they get the glory.  Churches do relief in the name of Jesus.  So God gets the glory.

Local churches help their own.  They are part of my household of faith.  We are told Scripture to help all people, but especially those in our spiritual family.  What a great testimony for our world to see us taking care of own.  To hear someone say that their church is helping them.  There is an attraction there that may lead people to see about being part of a community like that.

And when churches help outsiders in the name of Jesus, there is a door opened to share the good news of Jesus.

I want God to get the glory when I use his money to help others in crisis.

I want there to be doors of opportunity opened to share Jesus.

So to help those in Houston devastated by Hurricane Harvey, I am sending my help to the West Houston Church of Christ.  17100 West Road.  Houston, TX 77095.

Why West Houston?  Well, there are lots of churches helping people in and around Houston, but I know this church.  I did some preaching for them a couple of years ago.  I know their elders, some of their staff, and many of their members.  They will use this for God's glory and to grow the Kingdom.

So find your local church connection, or an organization that works thru local churches, and give to them.

So God gets the glory and the Kingdom will grow.

It is who we are and why we are here.

Comments:
I could not help but wonder does God need you to be his cheerleader? Many people of all faiths come together in a time of crisis to help their neighbors. I have family in Katy outside of Houston, and wondered if they needed food, clothing, and help would they care if it came from a church or from another organization. I know their concern would be getting their immediate needs met, not which group stepped up to help out.

I guess the question I came away with after reading your post was is a disaster the time to recruit new members.
 
Hey Eloise. I don't think a church sees a natural disaster and tries to use it to manipulate people into following Jesus. I do think it is a great opportunity for us to show the Jesus life in action and that does open doors to talk about our faith. As for the person being helped, they just need help. But some will be curious why we are helping. And that does open doors to talk about Jesus. I also think we help not to find prospects. We help because that is who we are as the people of God. But we are also people of God who share our faith. So...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?