Tuesday, September 26, 2017

 

Going Back after 35 Years...

So I preached last Sunday for the church of Christ in Winnsboro, TX.  Same place I worked as an evangelist 35 years ago.  It was not my first time back.  I have gone back and conducted several funerals there over the years, most recently just a few months ago.  But this was the first time to go back and preach and to spend time with them.  So there were a lot of people I did not know, and a lot that I did.

Here are a few thoughts about a great weekend with a great church.

They have four elders.  One was a deacon when I was there.  Another's wife was our babysitter back then.  But one of them was not even a Christian when I left.  His wife was faithful.  He heard me preach, we played some ball together, and hung out some.  He called me the night he was baptized and the day he became a deacon.  Now he is an elder.  Go God.

Still people there who were converted all those years ago.  And there were people there who are strong and active now, but were not when we were there.  Made my heart full.

I got to hang out with some of my family.  Not just church family, but one of my cousins and his kids.  Nice.

We talked a lot about baptisms, weddings, funerals, and grace.

It is a wonderful feeling to answer questions about your kids when they are faithful. 

Marsha could not make it this time, though she has for most of the funerals.

Got tired of the "Marsha looks the same.  Oh, and you sound the same." 

Or, "Glad to see you but we were hoping Marsha could come."

I think they will have me back but clearly it depends on whether or not Marsha comes.

That church has done a lot of good over the years.  Raised a lot of elders and elders wives.  Converted a lot of people to Jesus.  Been faithful. 

It was a taste of heaven.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?