Tuesday, November 14, 2017

 

How do you make the hard spiritual decisions...

Sometimes you have to make a decision.  And sometimes it is hard, especially when there are obvious spiritual consequences to what you decide.

You move to a new city and have to pick a church home.  How about deciding to change your church home?

Preachers who have to decide when it is time to move, or who have to decide when to listen to offers.

You get asked to be an elder.  You wonder when is the right time to resign as an elder.

What is the right major for the right job that will glorify God and make a Kingdom difference?  Relationship decisions.  Marriage.

What to do with aging parents. 

And on and on it goes.  Big decisions.  Small decisions with great consequences.

You start making them in your teens and -- trust me on this -- you are still making them when you are old.

So here are some things I have found very helpful in making hard spiritual decisions.

Pray lots.  Every day.  All day.  Ask God for wisdom.  Ask God for signs.  He will not get tired of you.  So ask lots.  After all, if you want to do what God wants... shouldn't you talk to him?

Read your Bible.  Read for specific issues and decisions.  What does God's Word say about preaching, or being an elder, or marriage, or work?  What does the Bible say about church?  If you want to know God's will, maybe you ought to read what he said. 

Ask spiritual people you trust.  I typically go to elders for advice.  Some are elders where I go to church.  Some are elders in other churches but I consider them a shepherd in my life.  Some are men that used to be elders.  Some should have been.  But they are people that have spiritual wisdom and insight.  People who know God's word.  People who love me.  Ask people you trust who have wrestled with the same kind of decision.  I really advise younger women to seek advice from older women (elder's wives are a good place to start).  After all, you are notthe first one to have to make hard decisions.  You are not that unique.  And you are not alone. 

I also remember that I really only have to answer to three people.  I have to look my wife in the eyes, I have to look at myself in the mirror, and someday I will look my God in the face.  It really helps to remember who I am trying to please. 

I have made a lot of hard spiritual decisions over the years.  Some worked out really well, others not quite like I thought.  Still making hard decisions.  Still using this blueprint to help me.

And I have given a lot of counsel and advice to people making hard decisions.  And this is how I help.  Pray lots, share lots of Scripture, try to share advice based on a lifetime of experience in following Jesus.

I actually think it works. 



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?