Thursday, December 28, 2017

 

The four reasons I am going to listen more this year...

OK.  Let me just get this out of the way.  I am a talker.  I am verbal and I am not shy. But those qualities also make it harder for me to be a good listener. 

So one of my resolutions is to be a better listener this year.  After all, James 1:19 says to be quick to listen, so it is a spiritual discipline. 

I have recently been in four conversations that helped me see why I am a better disciple of Jesus when I really listen.

I occasionally stopped talking long enough to listen to everyone talking around our table at Christmas.  Listening to my Mom and to Marsha.  Hearing my kids and grandkids.  Love expressed.  Joy, faith, encouragement.  I was literally watching one generation lead the next generation to deeper, richer faith in Jesus.  It was a moment of great inspiration and conviction about what God is doing in the lives of my family.

I spent four hours in conversation (yes I spoke a lot but I also listened intently) with our small group talking about what it means to be church.  Six people with great love and passion about living out our faith.  We have done life together for a long time so they all  have great credibility with me.  Every one of them said something that made me understand more about what it is to live as church.  Lots of things said about Jesus, family, faith, love, church, and what that looks like.  I learned. 

I sat at lunch with a close friend and listened as he talked about life with his wife who suffers from Alzhiemers.  I don't think he will ever know how much my faith grows by hearing him.  And yes, he asks and listens to the things going on in my life.  But I hear so much love, faith, and real life from him.  I need his voice in my life.

And I had a short conversation with a couple facing a serious diagnosis of fast growing cancer.  I heard their words of confidence and faith.  I went over to encourage them and I left thinking about how glad I am that this world is not my home and that God has something better than here waiting for me.  I am stronger because of their faith. 

It is really hard for a talker to be a good listener.  But this year I am going to try harder. 

Maybe if I really listen I can even do better when I do speak or give spiritual counsel. 

But most of all, when I really listen, I become a better follower of Jesus. 

So thanks to my friends and family who spoke into my life these past few days. 

I heard, and you blessed me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?