Thursday, December 07, 2017

 

Well Done Tony Ash...

There were Bible professors that I learned a lot from, and there were professors that I liked.  Tony Ash was the rare teacher that both taught me a lot and that I really liked.  Everybody has great Tony stories, but here are two of my favorites.

I was in his office one day when the phone rang.  He told me it was his wife calling to thank him for the flowers.  He then told me to answer the phone.  I did and identified myself.  Barbara never missed a beat.  She just told me to tell Tony thanks for the flowers and hung up.  I thought that was pretty cool.  They were well suited.

I played a lot of basketball with Tony.  He told me one day that my jump shot was like a frog.  Great jumping ability but I had to squat too low to get it started.  So for the next forty or so years every time Tony saw me -- even if I was in the audience listening to him preach -- he would ask if my jump shot still looked like a frog. Kinda cool ... and kinda embarrassing.  But always said in a way that made me feel good.

So here a few things I learned from Tony.  Take care of your body.  Love your wife.  Read C.S. Lewis.  Read Scripture out loud.  Really good Bible students can be pretty cool.  Don't quit.  Don't give up.  Preaching is fun.  Never get old.

He was a good man who loved talking about Jesus.  He was always good to me.  He made a difference. 

Well done Tony.  Well done.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?