Wednesday, February 14, 2018

 

Valentine's Day is not like it was 46 years ago... it is better

Counting the two years we dated before getting married, I have had 46 Valentine days with Marsha.  She has gone from girlfriend to fiance to wife to Mom to Mimi.

I have learned a few things about Valentine's over the years.  I am a bad valentine.  I am not very romantic.  I don't do flowers very well.  Candy is a no-no.  It's hard for a writer to buy a card someone else wrote.  Movies?  Rarely.  Nice dinners out?  Not so much.

Mimi on the other hand is the Valentine queen.  Especially for our grands.  Sacks decorated, cards, candy, Sonic gift card, hearts.  She is fantastic.

And that is just one the reasons I am glad she is my Valentine.  It is not how she looks (tho she can still make my heart skip a beat when she walks into the room), maybe not even what she does.  It is who she is.  And what she does actually stems from who she is.

Here's what Valentine's day (and week) looks like for us.

Remembering a friend who lost her husband just last week.

Going with our daughter to take one of our grands in for a procedure trying to identify why she has been so sick the last month.

A counseling session with a sweet lady who is having to make some really hard choices.

Packing me up to go off this weekend and talk to a church about how to tell the story of Jesus.

Taking an uncle to get his pain management shot.

Taking a sister to the hospital for some tests.

Reminding me to get flowers for my Mom.

Reminding me of the prayer requests from our small group meeting this week.  And then praying them with me.

Meeting friends to talk about Kingdom business and reaching people.

Sending out a bunch of cards to people grieving this week.

And those are just the things I can remember off the top of my head.

Family, friends, people in need.

Serving, loving, doing.

That's who she is.

Valentine's day is not at all like it used to be.  Not at all like I ever thought it would be.  Sure isn't like she ever dreamed it would be.

And better than I ever imagined.

So thanks Mimi for being my Valentine.

How about another year?

I love you.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?