Thursday, April 12, 2018

 

Hate the Sin ("eye roll" here) But Love the Sinner

Who comes up with these sayings anyway?  I cannot even explain what a trite sentence is, but I think this may be one.  Just say the first two words and everyone can finish the statement.  It is that thing that seems to make sense but it has been said so much that no one even understands what it means anymore.  It is that thing you say when you don't know what else to say. 

Love the sinner, hate the sin. 

But I get it.  I really hate sin.  I hate the sin in my life.  I hate the sin in the lives of my faith family.  I hate the consequences of sin.  Broken lives, broken relationships.  I hate the chains of guilt and shame that sin puts on people.  I hate sin because it separates us from God.

I am glad God sent Jesus to destroy, defeat, and forgive sin.  Broke the chains.  Restored our relationship with him. 

Because God loves the sinner.  So do I.  I love the sinners in my church family so much that I will do anything to help them to repentance and restoration when they have sinned.  I spend my life talking about Jesus to sinners.  Because I love them and I want them to have the same forgiveness I do.

I love sinners so much that they are always welcome in my house.  I hate sin so much that their sin is never welcome in my house.

Love the sinner.  Hate the sin.

And God help me to never get that backwards.  I never want to love the sin.  Never hate the sinner.

Hate the sin but love the sinner.

Truth.

And that is why I think I will keep saying this over and over.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?