Tuesday, April 24, 2018

 

So who showed up in Wichita to hear about Jesus?

Last week I preached in an evangelistic event in Wichita, KS as part of a Hope for Life campaign there. Those of you that know me, or have heard me preach, know what this means.  I just told stories every night.  Stories about Jesus, stories about people who decided to follow him -- both from Scripture and from people today.

There were 20 - 25 visitors they identified as interested seekers.  But what was interesting to me was how the visitors decided to come to the event.

Several were invited by Christians from the Celebrate Recovery ministry at a couple of the churches.

Some came from a targeted low-income apartment ministry one of the churches conducts.

I met one visitor from a Retirement Center where one of the congregations conducted services.

Several came with family members.

And several came with friends.

Some came because they were told it would be like "regular church preaching."  One was told I was not like a real preacher, that I just told lots of stories.  One was promised that at least I would be funny.

I really appreciate the people who invited friends to come because one of the things we said every night was that if they wanted to know more about the story they heard, or more about Jesus, or about what to do to follow Jesus that they should talk to the person that brought them.

But we did also say that their friends could even connect them with someone that could help them start their Jesus journey.  And that their friend would buy the coffee.

So here are my take--aways  to be a more evangelistic community of faith.

Celebrate Recovery needs to be offered.

Community service ministries really open doors and give credibility.

People listen to friends and family.

Preachers are not the answer.

Use your gifted evangelists.

So God I ask you to bless all those who got introduced to You last week in Wichita.  Open their hearts and give words, strength, and courage to those who are helping make them into disciples of your Son.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?