Tuesday, May 15, 2018

 

How to Stay Married 45 Years

This Saturday, May 19, Marsha and will have been married 45 years. 

Evidently that is a long time.  People seem so surprised and amazed to hear that.  I want to think it is because we look and act so young (well, she looks young and I still don't act my age), but I suspect it is because in our culture long marriages are becoming more rare.

So I have been thinking about how you make it 45 years together.  Here is what I think.

Jesus.  You cannot make it this long unless you are both more in love with Jesus than with your mate.  He is the only foundation to build a marriage and a home upon.  When you try to be like Jesus, you are going to be a better husband and wife.

Fun.  Never stop having fun.  Travel.  Or hang out.  Or do movies and a meal.  Hobbies.  Whatever.  Just never stop having fun.  Together.

Laugh.  Life is funny.  We are funny.  Nothing makes me happier than to hear Marsha laugh.  Still.  After all these years.  And for those that ask her if she laughs all the time being married to me... well, not always.  But lots. 

Kiss.  Don't let the physical romance leave your marriage.  Hold hands. 

Be proud of what you have accomplished.  For us, that is not the material things we have.  In fact, I am not sure we really have many of those.  But we sometimes take a minute to look at our kids and we realize we did a great job with them.  And our grands are a source of joy and pride.  They just make us happy.

Serve others.  We are a really good team when it comes to helping others.  We have helped a lot of people find Jesus.  Helped heal a lot of marriages.  If you want to hear about Jesus, listen to me.  If you want to see Jesus, watch Marsha.  Sorta funny.  Mostly true.

Forgive always.  Don't hold grudges.  Forget the past.  Extend grace.  Help your mate move closer to Jesus.

Pick well.  Not sure this is something you do in marriage, so maybe it is advice for the singles reading this.  Find a Christian.  Marry someone who makes your heart skip a beat.  I picked a good wife.  But I also picked a good Mom. 

It really does last.  We are still doing Kingdom work together.  I am a better Jesus follower with Marsha than I would have been without her. 

And my heart still races when she walks into a room.

And the great wife became a great Mom who because a great Mimi.

I am blessed.  I would do it again. 

I imagine we are starting the fourth quarter of our marriage.  If the Lord lets us have another 15 years.

And if so, it is going to be the best one yet.

I love you Mimi.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?