Tuesday, May 08, 2018

 

Taking out the garbage with Jesus

Here is the question I have been pondering lately:  do I have to take out the trash to be a good husband?

I want to be a good husband.  I am all about what God wants from me.  Lead my family spiritually, love my wife, pour out my life for my family, be sure our home is a Jesus place.

But the Bible really does not say much about taking out the trash.  I get that my wife asks me to, wants me to, and appreciates it when I do.  And I do love her.  And trash does need to be taken out.  Gets pretty messy if I don't.  But does it have to be every day?  Do I have to gather it all up?  It surely wouldn't hurt to miss one day.

It reminds me of how I sometimes hear people talk about  following Jesus.  Love God, love my neighbor, do what Jesus did, serve people, make disciples.  But about the mundane things, the little things, or things the Bible really does not say much about.

Take church attendance.  How many times do I have to go?  Is there extra credit for Sunday night?  What about Wednesdays?  Does small group count?  What if worship is too long, or too short?  The singing might be too high or too low?  I am not always inspired by church.

Do I really have to go to church to be a good Christian?

The reason I think about taking out the garbage is because I have to think about it when I am taking it out.  Maybe this chore is a way to express my love to Marsha.  It is something that actually makes a difference.  And does God really need to give me every rule about how to lead and love my family?  Maybe those mundane chores are not so mundane after all.

Maybe God should not have to spell out the rules about church attendance either.  Love God, serve others, remember that I am part of a body.  Maybe the mundane spiritual things are not so mundane either.

So is their any rule that says I have to take out the garbage to be a good husband?

No.  But I do notice a lot of good husbands that do.

And is there a rule that says I have to go to church?

No rules.  But I do notice that the strong Christians do.

What if I stopped trying to find rules, and argue about rules, and trying to justify my behavior.

What if I just did love?  In every small and mundane way I could.

And if in doubt, just look at a strong Christian and see what they do.

So I don't need a rule about church.  I'll just be there.  Like the other faithful believers.

But now I'm going home to take out the garbage.  Just like the other good husbands.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?