Thursday, June 21, 2018

 

Keeping Communion Meaningful

It is a subject we don't like to talk about in my fellowship, but the truth is... sometimes it is hard to stay focused on the Lord's Supper.  We do it every week and it is really easy to slide into a ritual habit that you can do without even thinking about it. 

Maybe we don't want to talk about it because some of our religious friends say that is exactly the problem with weekly communion.  It gets stale.  So in their view is much more meaningful to do it monthly, quarterly or even annually. 

And we do it the same way almost every Sunday.  Not much of a "supper" anyway.  Little bite of cracker, sip of wine -- sorry, grape juice -- and as the little boy once said "then they want you to pay for it."  Most churches expect it be done within a certain time limit and work to make sure it gets done quickly and efficiently. 

Make it smooth, quiet, quick, and also meaningful and spiritual.  Don't let the person giving communion thoughts take too long or you will cut into the sermon time.  You know the drill.

So here is how I keep communion deeply meaningful to me.  I people watch during it. 

Sometimes I watch my family and realize how blessed I am that we are both flesh family and faith family. 

I look at the older saints I am eating with and I am thankful that for 60, 70, and even 80 years they have been doing this.

I see new Christians doing this and realize how special it is to them.

I notice people taking communion for the first time after their spouse has died.

I watch those whose stories I know.  I know the demons, the addictions they are battling.  And I root for their faith to overcome.

I see those people who are sick and know that the opportunity to partake in this is dwindling down.

I see single Moms doing the best they can.  With faith.

So I give thanks, and I pray, and I am inspired, and I am awe of the people I do life with. 

God is good and together with my people we proclaim the Lord's death and resurrection.

In faith and love.

Together.

Until he comes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?