Thursday, July 19, 2018

 

Why Scripture is the one counseling tool I have to use...

I spend a lot of time talking to people about what God wants from them and for them.  I talk to non-believers about what it means to follow Jesus.  I talk to believers about how to live as a disciple.  I spend a lot of time helping Christians who find their lives in a mess.  I have initiated many of the conversations and other times I have had people approach me.  But I make one thing very clear from the beginning.  I think the Bible is true.  That is where you see God's will revealed. 

Even when I just tell a story from Scripture to a non-believer, I tell them it is from the Bible.  I even show them where to find it so they can read it for themselves.  Give them one if they do not own a Bible.

All of my spiritual counseling utilizes Scripture.  We read it, talk about it, and try and understand what it means in real life.

Here are just a few of the reasons that I think using Scripture must be a part of your spiritual counsel and advice.

God is smarter than we are.  I can share my opinion.  I can talk all day long about what I think is the answer to all their issues.  But I am not sure it really matters to most people what I think.  It might matter to them what God says.  And I might be wrong.  He is not.

The hard sayings need to come from God.  There will be times when truth is hard to hear.  It can be offensive, or emotionally upsetting.  I never want to hurt anyone by spouting off things that I think.  If something is going to be hard to hear, it better come from God not me.

Using the Bible keeps it from getting personal.  If someone wants to argue with what I say, let them argue with Scripture.  Hard spiritual discussions can get difficult.  "Who are you to tell me..."  "You do not know what you are asking me to do."  "You are hateful.  You are mean.  You are cruel.  You do not know what you are talking about."  "You are judgmental.  You are unloving." 

If you have done much spiritual counseling, you have heard things like this.  That is why I want to keep reading from Scripture.  It is between them and God, not them and me.  But if I am not using Scripture, they may actually be right about some of the things they say.

Using Scripture keeps me from taking it personally.  If they reject what I share with them, it is God's word they are rejecting.  Much like what God told Samuel when the people wanted a king like the other nations.  God reminded Samuel that the people were not rejecting Samuel, but rejecting God. 

I believe Scripture is living and active.  Just reading the Word of God works on people's mind and heart.

And the Bible is full of direct, practical advice that is relevant today.   


Thank you God for giving us your word.  I need to hear it.  I need it to work on me.  I need to use it to help others be what you want them to be.  

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?