Thursday, August 23, 2018

 

Living as a believer in a non-believing world.

I talk quite a lot about how Christians are counter-cultural.  That is, our world view -- and the way we live that out -- is often at odds with the people around us.

People occasionally ask me what that means.  So here are three convictions I hold that are are counter to the culture I live in.

I believe Jesus is the only way to God.  Not a way or one of many ways. I believe He is the only way to God.  Jesus himself said no one comes to the Father except thru Him.  We cannot be good enough or work enough to save ourselves.  Jesus died to save us from our sins and restore our relationship with God.  No one else.  The Jesus way leads to heaven.  That is not a popular or prevalent view in our culture.

I believe in male authority in the home and in the church.  Not a view that would be endorsed by our culture.  But I think Scripture is clear.  The husband is the head of the wife.  Elders shepherd the flock and they are to be married men.  It is not a matter of spiritual superiority or power.  In fact, Scripture is very clear on how husbands are to lead their homes and how elders are to lead their churches.

I believe marriage is between a man and a woman.  Sex outside of marriage is wrong.  God makes his view of this very clear in Scripture.

And these are just three areas where I am out of step with my culture.  There are others. 

Counter cultural.

Christians may not always live out these convictions perfectly.  I don't.  But that is my world view and I believe it is truth.  And so as a Christians I work to align my life with truth.  It is not just to be taught and believed.  It is to be lived.

So we try to live more like Jesus.  We work to have homes of faith.  We commit to bring our behavior in line with what God wants.  Not perfect.  But forgiven.  But the rationale for how we live is at odds with what most people in our world believe.

The world can think that makes us -- me -- judgmental, or narrow-minded.  They can say I am not loving or that I am hateful.  But it is hard to say that when they see how we treat people.  How we serve others.  Even those in our world who are -- oddly enough -- judgmental and hateful to us.

Peter said it best in I Peter 2:12

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

This world is not my home and I will never be comfortable here.  But I am not here to be comfortable.  I am here to follow Jesus and to lead others in my world to become followers.

Till I get to my real home.  Forever.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?