Tuesday, August 28, 2018

 

The Danger of Believing Scripture Means What It Does Not Say

I grew up in churches of Christ.  One of the great blessings of that heritage is a deep and passionate commitment to Scripture.  To this day I am thankful for Bible class teachers, preachers, memory verses, Bible reading, and all the other disciplines that led me into Scripture.

But  there was one dangerous tendency among some to the churches I knew. 

They sometimes insisted the Bible meant what it did not say. 

I am not talking about conclusions drawn from principles taught in Scripture.  I am talking about making your conclusions drawn from Scripture have the same weight as actual Scripture.

The most obvious example is when some insisted the Bible condemns instrumental music in worship.  Not that singing only might be a better choice.  Or after studying Scripture they concluded that singing only is a better choice.  But that instruments were wrong and that is what is taught in the Bible.

Except of course the Bible does not say that.  And by the way, I am strong advocate of non-instrumental worship for a number of reasons.  But not because that is what the Bible says. 

We did it with the Lord's Supper also.  Insisting that a Christian has to take it every Sunday.  And only on Sunday.  Even if you had to take it by yourself on a Sunday night.  You may decide those are reasonable conclusions.  Just don't tell me that is what the Bible absolutely teaches unless you can show me the passage that says it. 

It is concerning when someone says they know what God meant even tho he did not say it.  As if God needed an editor to clean up his oversights.

And this view leads to problems.

Churches split over this.  When you insist I am wrong and worshiping in error, we are not going to be able to continue in fellowship.  You better be sure that is what God meant before you divide the body. 

You tend to start thinking there is truth about everything and anything.  We can determine it and if anyone does not agree they are wrong.  And this leads to drawing smaller and smaller circles of fellowship.  Christianity is reduced to getting everything right. 

It is easy to revert to a system of why everyone else is wrong instead of explaining what you believe to be right.

The Bible becomes a proof text.  Every verse has a absolute meaning.  It is like a rule book or collection of laws for the Christian.

And if not careful, we become mean and judgmental.  As if God entrusted us to decide who is in and out. 

It is hard to share good news when we are so paranoid about getting something wrong and so arrogant to think we have everything right.

And young people growing up in this environment often decide to leave it.  They want authenticity concerning Bible study.  So at some point, your church withers and dies. 

I do want to be clear that this does not describe everyone that believes some of the things I mentioned.  I know people that hold these positions that are loving, committed, and passionate about following Jesus and bringing others to know him.

But there is a danger in deciding we know what God meant when it is not what he said.  That we absolutely and without a doubt can say what God not.  Opinions and judgments are not the same as truth. 

Be careful.  I try hard to remember that the Holy Spirit knew exactly what he was doing when he inspired Scripture.  I am not sure he needs me to edit it for him.



Comments:
I'm reminded of a billboard that sat on Allen Farm out on Ambler Avenue back in the 60s. It read 'The Churches of Christ welcome you' Romans 16:16. But every Bible I read didn't capitalize 'churches'. Changing scripture to fit your message always bothered me.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?