Tuesday, October 02, 2018

 

The Constitution, the Bible, America, and the Church

So in listening to discussions/debates/arguments over the kind of judges should be appointed to the Supreme Court it seems there are two philosophies most often held to.  One is that the Constitution should be followed as it was written.  That it is not to be interpreted/changed anew with every generation.  Others see the Constitution as a living instrument that must interpreted differently as each generation views it.  It is to adapted to the culture in which we now live. 

Obviously your view of the Constitution would determine your position on any number of issues that face America in this day and age.

So in listening to discussions/debates/arguments over how to read/interpret the Bible I see two distinct views.  One is the the Bible is the inspired word of God and it actually means what it says.  Another holds that the Bible is the inspired word of God but must be interpreted anew by each generation.  That is, it was written for a certain time and place and means different things depending on the culture in which we now live.

So here is what strikes me about these conversations.

One is how similar the discussion seems.  How do you read documents written in a different time and place.

I am also a little disappointed that a debate over the Constitution and the Bible have any similarities.  The Constitution was written by a bunch of men.  I believe the Bible was written by the living God.  The Constitution may or may not be true.  It may or may not have application over the course of human history.  The Bible is true and absolutely has application for everyone in every culture and in any time.

So why is the discussion so similar?  Some would argue that Christians have been influenced by the culture in which we now live.  So if your culture (America in 2018) is questioning what to do with the Constitution, then that influences Christians to question what to with Scripture.

Some would even argue that both of these discussions are agenda driven.  That is, you decide what you want to see in your country and that determines your view of the Constitution.  Or, you decide what you want your church to be and that determines your view of Scripture.

But here is the thing about agendas.  Everyone has one.  Even the people who say they do not.

So  here are a couple of personal insights.

I think you fundamentally change our country when you believe the Constitution can mean any thing you want it to.  But it was just a document written by men.  So maybe it matters and maybe it doesn't.  And America is old for a country but pretty new in the overall view of history.  I lean more toward one particular way to view the Constitution but I am not really sure it matters 1000 years from now.

I believe how you read/interpret the Bible does matter.  I think it is a dangerous road to assume God did not make his will clearly known.  I think the Holy Spirit inspired the Bible and I think He was clear about the will of God.  I do think how you view Scripture will matter in 1000 years.

And I do have an agenda.  It is to do my best to follow God's word.  Even when it doesn't fit with what I want to do or to believe. 

I don't know what will happen with America and the Constitution. 

I do know what will happen with the church and the Bible.  God's will absolutely will be done. 

I want to be part of that.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?