Thursday, November 08, 2018

 

Eppie Elmore Flew Away... Just Like He Said He Would

My cousin, Eppie Elmore, died a couple of weeks ago.  I did the funeral for his wife Lou a couple of years ago and truth be told, Eppie was ready to go home with Lou right after she passed.  It just took him a couple of years to die.

I loved Eppie for a lot of reasons.  Taught me a lot about hunting and fishing.  Carpentry.  He's the one who taught me to ride horses. 

He was a lot like an older brother. 

And Eppie was my brother in Christ.  He was pretty rough in his younger days, like a lot of the men in my family.  But he married Lou and she was a committed follower of Jesus.  My Mom and Dad helped teach Eppie about Jesus and my folks served as role models for Lou and Ep.  And following Jesus turned him into one of best hearted men I have ever known.

He was a deacon at the Winnsboro church where I preached when our family was young.  Lou and her twin, Sue, spent a lot of time with Marsha and our daughter Julie.  Eppie's boys spent a lot of time with our son Joe Don, and I spent a lot of time with Eppie.

I spent many nights coon hunting with Eppie, his brother-in-law James, and one of our elders, Jack Cross.  Two Deacons, a preacher, and an elder.  Great memories.  Made enough off the hides to buy Christmas each year.

Eppie and Lou served a lot of people.  Brought a lot of people to church.  Helped a lot of people to know Jesus.  Raised three boys to love Jesus.

Poured a lot of love and work into the Winnsboro church and into Camp Deer Run.

And Eppie loved to sing.  I'll Fly Away was his favorite song by far.  Always wanted to sing it.  Sang it with great enthusiasm.  Now Eppie only sang one note so the tune was occasionally a little hard to figure out.  But not the words or the heart behind the song.

And now Eppie has flown away to a home on God's celestial shore.  Just like he always said he would.  Hanging out with Lou, Sue and James, Jack and Hazel Cross, my Dad. 

And singing around the throne of God.  Maybe even with the right notes.

So I'll think of Eppie and I'll sing that song myself from time to time.  And I'll be thankful for a Godly man that influenced me and my family to stay the course and follow Jesus. 

Till we get to sing together again around the throne.

I'll fly away.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?