Thursday, December 20, 2018

 

Jesus, Christmas, and the Gifts I'd Like to Give

Every year I think about the gifts I would like to give but can't.

Here is what I mean.

I have two really good friends that are going thru the holidays without their wives this year.  The gift I wish for them is the peace that passes understanding and the certainty that they will see their wives again.  I can't give that gift.  But Jesus can and does.

I have family and friends suffering from cancer.  Prognosis seems better than it has been but it is going to be a hard holiday for them and their families.  I wish I could give them healing.  I can't.  God can.  And He will.  Either here or later.  Because of Jesus.

I have friends overwhelmed by their addictions and brokenness. I can't fix it.  I can't make it go away.  Only Jesus can forgive, heal and restore. 

I have really good friends in my spiritual family who are hurting.  Feelings of betrayal, or hurt because of church situations.  Friends who feel like they have to find  new church homes and friends who hurt because others are leaving.  Politics.  Power struggles.  Different ways of viewing the Bible.  Real or perceived attitudes that wound others. Harsh words spoken.  Can't fix this either.  I can't make things better.  Or restore broken relationships or lost opportunities.  Only Jesus can heal and only thru him can forgiveness be extended.  Jesus. 

And I have not even mentioned the friends I have that have not surrendered to Jesus.  Life is hard even with him because we live in a fallen world.  But I know life is a even harder without him.  And I can't make them believe. 

So here is what I have concluded about Christmas and the presents I cannot give.

Jesus is the only gift the that can fix the pain and hurt and sin of this world.

And God already gave that gift.  All anyone has to do is accept it. 

So I think this year I will work even harder at making sure the hurting people in my life hear one thing from me.  Jesus is the only gift that really matters.

So I need to remember it.  I want my family to remember it.  I want my friends to remember it.

He is the gift I most want to be in my life.  And I want everyone else to see it -- and have it -- too.

Jesus.  The gift that really will change everything.  Now and forever.

Jesus is not just a reason for this season.

Jesus is life.

   

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?