Wednesday, December 12, 2018

 

Jesus, Cousin Eddie, and the real gift that keeps on giving

I am going to just go ahead and get this out there.  I watch Christmas Vacation.  And I laugh every time at the Jelly of the Month club.  Especially when cousin Eddie calls it the gift that keeps on giving. 

That is such a great way to start a Jesus conversation with non-believers this time of year.

We are talking about the movie, then about gifts that keep on giving, and then about how I get to do Christmas all year long as a believer.

I love getting gifts, and I love getting gifts.  As a Christian, I get and give all year long.

I talk about John 3:16.  After all, even many non-believers have heard this verse.   God loves us so much that he gave his only son so we could have eternal life.  The gift that really keeps on giving.

I might mention Romans 6:23 and talk about how I do not deserve to live forever in heaven with a holy God because of my sins.  But God has given me a free gift.

We might talk about how hard it is to live the Jesus life.  And I get to mention that when I believe in Jesus and change the direction of my life by repenting and being crucified with Christ in baptism, not only are my sins forgiven, but God gives me another gift.  The Holy Spirit.  Helps me to become holy and to live holy.  They can read it for themselves in Acts 2.

I might talk about the God who wants me to ask for anything I need and that he will give it.  Just like he promised in the Sermon on the Mount.  Receiving gifts all year long. 

And I will talk about how as a Christian I give gifts all year long.  I will even laugh about the churches that seem to only want your money.  Give, give, give.  And then show them that even when talking about money, that real Christians give themselves to God first, then to others.  We are the gift.

I have even been known to suggest that the greatest gift ever given to any of us ought to be accepted.  Give themselves to God in baptism and be forgiven and get the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Give to others. 

Getting gifts and giving gifts all year long.

Just a few thoughts on how to share your faith this season.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?