Thursday, January 17, 2019

 

Hypocrite, Sinner, or Struggler... and how to tell the difference

I am a Christian.  I am a sinner.  I am holy.  I still struggle with my sin.  I am living proof that Jesus changes lives and that the Jesus way works.  I know sometimes I must look like a hypocrite.  I know that the Holy Spirit is helping me put to death the sin in my life.

If you are a Christian, you too experience these seemingly contradictory emotions.

And I know a lot of Christians who still struggle with their identity.  Are they a saved sinner?  A hypocrite?  No one is perfect but shouldn't they be better than they are?

And how do you convince people that do not follow Jesus that he really is the way to God?

So here are a few questions I periodically ask myself to help do a spiritual look in the mirror to see who I really am.

When I sin, do I repent? 

Do I confess (acknowledge) my sin to God and even to trusted others?

Do I make excuses for my sin?  Blame others, or circumstances, or rationalize how it is not really my fault?

Do I commit to do better?

Do I have an action plan to overcome my sin?  Plans from Scripture or developed with guidance from family, friends, or shepherds?

Do I work the plan? 

Do I have accountability for how I am doing?

Am I getting better, making progress? 

These are a few of the things that keep me focused on who I really am.  A child of God.  Having my sins forgiven.  Showing more fruits of the Spirit every year.

Not a hypocrite.  Not even a sinner.  A struggler who sins, but is living in grace.

Living forgiven. 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?