Thursday, January 10, 2019

 

My Grandson Jake is a teenager...

So my grandson, Jake Gilbreth, turned 13 this week.  For some reason I got to thinking about the most favorite things I have ever done with him.  So here are just a few of my favorite Jake memories. 

Jg Soles.  That is Jake's Youtube channel.  Watching him develop this has been astounding.  He has right at 20,000 subscribers. 

Being the winning pitcher in Sectionals as a Little League All Star.

Teaching himself to play the drums. 

Seeing elders pray over Jake when he had Kawasaki disease and was diagnosed just before the time when the odds of surviving went way down. 

Spending hours together outside.  Lots of zoo trips, fishing trips, and just hanging out.

Working together.  We have done lots of projects.  Around our house and his house.  But I think my favorite was working at Marsha's folks house. 

But my all-time favorite are all the preaching trips we have made together.  All the grands have gone with me to preach, but Jake has gone more than any of them.  Lots of good conversations. Letting him see my sermon outline and talking about how you develop a sermon.  Watching him meet people.  Knowing he looks adults in the eyes and shakes hands.  Eating out, often with church members.  Listening to him pray when someone asks him to lead the blessing for the meal.  Talking on the way home about what we learned together.

Great, great memories of the boy becoming a man.  Teenager.  I cannot wait for the next round of memories. 

So I am proud of Jake.  Entrepreneur.  Musician.  Athlete.  Good with his hands.  Smart.  Learning to make our faith his faith.

So thanks Jake for hanging out with your Pops.  I am better for it.  And I am blessed.

And thanks God for the gift of Jake.  For healing him, blessing him, and now forming him into someone who will follow you.  Do great things in him and thru him.  I look forward to the memories yet to be made.

 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?