Thursday, March 21, 2019

 

Thinking about Red Letter Bibles

I have a lot of talk recently about red letter Bibles.  These are the Bibles that have the words of Jesus in red.  That way is easier to see what Jesus said.  So you assign high value and priority to what you see in red letters in your Bible. 

So here are a few thoughts.

I do think it is right and appropriate to put high value on what Jesus said.  After all, he is my Savior and the only way to God.  But I also think it is really important to pay attention to what Jesus did.  And to what the early church did. 

Which reminds me that for as long as I have been involved in churches and Bible study there have been different emphasis on what to study from the Bible.

Growing up in churches of Christ years ago, there were Old Testament stories and stories of Jesus told in early Bible school.  But by the teenage years, there was a lot of emphasis on the book of Acts.  It was as if that was the most important part of the Bible. 

Then came the period when New Testament letters were the big point of emphasis.  Especially the Pauline letters. 

And after that, the gospels.  I was one of those younger preachers that thought it was really good to preach thru a whole gospel in one year.  But I remember being a little uneasy that some of my friends almost looked down on anyone who preached from Acts or the letters. 

Not to long ago, it was as if we rediscovered the Old Testament.  Lots of reading and preaching from the prophets.  Renewed emphasis on the nature of God.  Now I hear people speak as if the Old Testament is so done away with it that it is of no value.

And now the hot thing is the red letter words of Jesus.

In a few years I suspect we will rediscover Acts.

But here's the thing...

All Scripture is inspired.  It is all valuable.  We should not neglect any of it.  And do not think that the Bible disagrees with itself.  The Old Testament is not in opposition to the new.  Paul and Jesus are not in conflict.

Be careful of anyone who would say they choose Jesus words over Paul's writings.  As if one is right and the other wrong. 

The Holy Spirit was not confused when he inspired the Bible.  He did not get some of it wrong.

Read it all.  Study all of it. 

Personally, I like the words of Jesus.  More enthralled with what he did.  Love Acts.  It is inspiring.  Learn so much from the letters in the New Testament.  Wish I knew more of the Old.  Sure learn a lot about God and his people from it.

So I think it all fits together.  I thing it is a story of God and his love.  I believe it is the word of God.  All of it.  If it is in Scripture, it is truth. 

So thanks God for giving us your Word.  Keeps me from deciding what God should have said.  Or what I wish He had said.  Or what I want Him to say.

 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?