Thursday, April 11, 2019

 

Seeing Jesus in the Funeral Home, Rehab, and the Hospital

So I saw Jesus this week in funeral homes, Rehab centers, and the hospital.  And I learned some things about him by watching and listening to his people.

Charles died this week of lung cancer.  He was an elder at the Winters church of Christ and here is what I learned from him.  When first diagnosed, it was bad.  But in one of his "feeling good enough to attend" Sundays, he asked the church to pray for him.  And we did.  The whole church gathered around him down at the front and we prayed.  Prayed for healing, comfort, peace, for God's will to be done, and for God to be glorified.  And he got three more months of comfort.  Went thru treatment with very little issue.  I listened to him talk about the peace he had.  He was ready to go.  Enjoyed the time with friends and family, but was ready.  I will always remember that church praying over him.  And I will remember his peace about whatever came.  God was honored.  

Patsy is up in Rehab.  She falls more than she wants and every time it seems like something is hurt.  Every time.  She has enough trust in God to ask why this keeps happening.  She has enough faith to say she does not have to know.  Or to understand.  Just has to be faithful.  Everyone teaches the lessons of Job.  Some people live those lessons.

Byron had me come over this week to work on his funeral.  He can see the end.  Maybe not real soon.  But not long either.  He is a "might as well be" member at Southern Hills.  Never would place membership.  Kept his membership where it has been for 75 years.  Where he was baptized.  Says he believes everything we do.  I've known him since Marsha and I were dating and I was Youth Minister/Song Leader in the early 70's.  And he is right.  His church life centered around Southern Hills, not where his membership was.  I am at a time in my life when I really need to be reminded that my church/my community of faith is much bigger than the membership roll wherever I am currently attending.  

Uncle Jerry fell and broke his hip.  I was over at the house while we waited on the ambulance.  Hung out in the ER with him.  Listened to him talk about recovery, going home, and what he was going to do next.  93 in the ER facing surgery and he was talking about the future.  I need to remember that as long as I am here, I have a purpose.

So here is the recap about what I learned from Charles, Patsy, Byron, and Jerry.  

Church is a lot bigger and different than a lot of our congregations think it is.  

Be ready to go home.

But until you do, look for what God has planned next.

And I don't have to understand it all.  Just be faithful.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?