Tuesday, May 21, 2019

 

How to stay married 46 years...

Most of you know that Marsha and I just celebrated 46 years of marriage.  And yes, we were kids when we got married.  21 and 20 (barely).  We talk to a lot of couples about marriage and often get asked what it takes to stay married that long.

So here are a few things I have learned over the years.

Love God more.  We love each other lots.  She loves God more than me.  Me too. 

Pick well.  Best thing I ever did was choose wisely. 

Stick it out.  Lots of times when you could quit.  Easiest thing to do sometimes.  Don't.

Hold hands.  Touch matters.  Your hands reflect your heart.  I started out preaching when the thing to do was sit on the front row or up on the stage.  I was in that group of young preachers that would rather sit with our wives (and kids) till time to preach.  It was a good change. 

Kiss lots.  Still. 

Say I love you lots.  Lots.  Lots.  And yes, I say it so often that I am one of those idiots who has occasionally told the office staff I love them when I am hanging up.  They know it is force of habit from talking to Marsha.  It's a good habit.

Say I'm sorry.  As often as you need to.  And mean it.  Then do something about it.

Worship together.  Pray together.  Read Scripture together.

Keep dating. 

Love God the most but love your mate more than your kids and your job.  Or anything else.

So Mimi -- and yes Marsha went from Honey to Mom to Mimi -- thanks for picking me.  Thanks for sticking with me.  Thanks for the wife, Mom, and Mimi you are.

I'm sorry.  OK.  That was a just in case I missed anything.

And I love you.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?