Thursday, May 23, 2019

 

Richard, Tom, and Mike have shown us the way home... just like they promised

It has been a tough three months.  Three men I served with as an elder have gone home to the Lord.  Honor to whom honor is due, so here are few thoughts on each of my brothers.

Richard Melton.  Richard really loved people.  Really loved people.  He cried with them, visited them in the hospital, and urged them to be everything God wanted them to be.  And Richard loved Scripture.  He read his Bible, studied his Bible.  As elders should, Richard taught a Bible class for as long as I knew him.  He believed in the power of prayer.  Expected God to answer.  Great faith.  I also needed to hear Richard.  He always believed the best about everyone.  It was easy to become jaded, to cease trusting people.  Not Richard.  I served about 15 years with Richard.

Tom South.  I served with Tom for a decade as an elder.  We had a member who struggled with alcohol.  He was on his way to losing his family and his faith.  But he agreed to meet with a group of us once a week and talk, study, and pray.  Tom would speak lovingly but firmly.  Cut thru the excuses but never gave up.  And it didn't hurt that he usually bought the coffee.  That member is a faithful husband and Dad today.  And he is sober.  The other thing I remember about Tom is the Sunday after I resigned as an elder.  He and his wife Jan came over to Marsha and I.  He told us they knew exactly what we were feeling.  He prayed a blessing over us.  He was no longer an elder either, but he sure was a shepherd.

Mike Schweikhard.  Mike and I served for about five years together.  My most vivid memory of shepherding with Mike was a difficult conversation we had to have with someone about a situation with new converts from a refugee group.  Mike was a quiet man, and I am... well, not quiet.  So I did most of the talking.  The meeting went very well.  We accomplished what was needed.  But it was not because of my verbal skills.  It went well because of the power of Mike's character and credibility.  The member listened to me because I was there with Mike.  Great lesson. Mike sure was a supporter of missions.  Wanted our world to hear about Jesus.  Supported missions, prayed, and pushed us to support more people in the field.

Richard, Tom, and Mike.

They each loved God with all their heart.  They led their families with faith.  And they shepherded their flock.

And now they have shown us how to go home.

Well done brothers. 

Well done.

Comments:
Beautiful tributes. Thanks for sharing.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?