Tuesday, June 18, 2019

 

It was not a hear attack but it was a heart check

So I preached in Fredericksburg last Wednesday night and, as we have for the last three or four years, Marsha, granddaughter Avery, and I got up Thursday morning and climbed Enchanted Rock.  First we hiked one of the long loop trails and then we hiked up the Rock. 

Avery runs up and down it, Marsha hikes from rock to rock.  I tend to stop and look, then charge upward until I catch up with them.  So we don't really hike together. 

I had waited by one of the rocks enjoying the view when it happened.  I got up to continue the hike and could not catch my breath.  Felt clammy.  Even queasy.  Weak in my legs.  And so I sat back down and thought "well, this is it."  Part way up Enchanted Rock I am having a heart attack.  Except there was nt pain. 

I kept thinking I had felt this way before but couldn't remember when.  Reminded me of roofing houses in Texas in 100 degree weather.  And that made me thirsty so I took a drink.  All of a sudden I could breathe again.  Another sip and I didn't feel queasy or clammy.  One more and I didn't even feel weak. 

So I got up and hiked up the rest of way.  And back down.  No problems.  I guess I was dehydrated.  Drink water.  Problem solved.

So what did I think about when I first wondered if it was a heart attack?

First I was sorry that Marsha was going to have to drag my body off the Rock.  So embarrassing.  For her.  I assumed I wouldn't care by then.

Then I reflected on my life.  Realized I have had a really good run.  God has been way better to me than I could ever have imagined.  Great wife, kids, and grands.  Got to talk to a lot of people about Jesus.  Preached the night before. 

So I spent a couple of minutes thanking God.  And asking him to heal me if this was a heart attack.  But if he chose not to... well, I'd get to see Him soon.

Realized there really wasn't anything I panicked about not having done.  It was really OK if this was the end of this part of my life.

Then drank water and felt better.  Thought about how to use this as an illustration about living water found in Jesus.

You are wondering why I didn't get help.  Call 911.  Yell for Marsha. 

Well, I'm a guy and I'm me.  Figured it would be OK one way or another.  No cell service.  Didn't want to upset Marsha or Ave.

So drank.  Got up and caught up.  Told Marsha.  She had a slightly different opinion about my approach to this.  Drank more.

So water saved my life the other day.

Living water has saved me forever. 

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?